I would strongly advise the consumption of a very large
grain of salt when reading any of these "explanations"
of why the market did this or that.  This particular
one comes from a Reuters wire service report that was
being put out around 1800GMT when the Scotsman would
have been put to bed.  As it happens, the Dow turned
round in the last couple of hours and closed only 50
points down, with no very obvious developments in the
likelihood of a terrorist attack.  No disrespect to the
guys at Reuters who write these comments, but it's a
bit of a joke; they have to write something to fill the
space, but nobody who knows anything will talk to them
because anybody who knows anything a) has better things
to do than talk to Reuters and b) probably doesn't want
the world to know what they're up to.

In general, it is usually vain to try and find reasons
for anything happening in the stock market which are
located in the world outside the stock market.  It
really is an amazingly insular place; in six years, the
only time I have ever seen people take interest in the
outside world was September 11th, and even that was for
three or four days max.

cheers

dd

> Such is the worry of an attack [on Bush during his
> state visit to Britain]
> that the stock markets in Wall Street and elsewhere
> fell sharply, with the
> Dow Jones dropping 130 points at one stage and the
FTSE