Michael Yates described his success in addressing Jim Craven's classes.
A certain degree of his success probably had to do with the fact that
Jim had already laid the groundwork.  I wonder how well he would do
after students had finished nearly a semester of neoclassical
indoctrination.  I'm not saying that he couldn't have broken through
with some of the students, but the task would be much more difficult.

My own situation supports Ahmed's interpretation of the academic market
for left economists.  Here at Chico, my application had been passed over
by the faculty.  I guess it was sort of flippant.

Students, at the time, had some input in personnel matters.  Could you
imagine that today?  The students pushed for my recruitment, but the key
factor was that the conservative chairman thought that I would be useful
in recruiting students to the economics program.

If I were to subtract 40 years from my age, I suspect I would have
difficulty in getting a job today, just as many more capable graduates
do.  If I were to market myself as a conservative, I do not think I
would have much difficulty.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department