--- Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
that
> >if the ratio of unproductive to productive labor
> continues to increase
******

Paul or someone on the list...do you mean by
uproductive labour, that labour which does not produce
a profit for an employer of wage-labour?

Are you saying that a single barber who owns his shop
and employs nobody and who cuts hair for a price is an
example of unproductive labour whereas a bunch of
hairdressers employed by a chain for wages and whose
accumulated services are sold at a profit are
productive?

Or, is that unproductive as well?

In other words, can services as well as material goods
be counted as part of productive labour in this
definition?

Paul continued:

As I recall, your 1997 RRPE article was
> focusing on the
> productive\unproductive issue and so did not get
> into the question of
> productivity of capital.

and>
> 3.      IF, IF there were a long-ish by very modest
> upturn in profit rates
> partly fueled by some serious capital
> productivity\technical change would
> it not still be consistent with your points on
> productive\unproductive
> labor?  (The improvements in capital productivity
> were cut in half by the
> drain in unproductive labor.)

And what does the productivity of capital mean?
Can capital, of and by itself be productive?  I mean,
is there is such a measure as say, output by unit of
capital?

Or, are we talking Capital as a social relation here
i.e. wage-labour implied?

Curious,
Mike B)

=====
So long as little children are allowed to
suffer, there is no true love in
this world.

ISADORA DUNCAN
"Memoirs," 1924