I think that what balancing the budget illustrates very nicely is that
economics is not just a technical problem of economics, but a moral and
political problem, which must inescapably refer to an ethics which isn't
"objective" but partisan. When you have to cut costs and expenditures, and
increase revenues, that means ceteris paribus taking income away from some,
and giving it to others. However, "market forces" by themselves provide no
moral and political criteria for doing so, since, as I have argued, markets
have no morality of their own, beyond what's necessary to conclude
transactions successfully. A lot depends on the relative strengths or clout
which participants in the marketplace already have. But the question that is
really important is that of how you could increase total net income, apart
from cutting costs.

In recent days, I was looking at the large financial and population
aggregates for the US economy to get some understanding of the proportions
of incomes, debts, labour-allocations and the distribution of revenues - I
had this idea of writing an article about "production and circulation" to
show how, as I have argued before, a narrow focus on GDP or gross output
blinds us to the real dynamics that spur the capitalist accumulation of
wealth along these days (if I remember correctly, Anwar Shaikh called his
Phd thesis "theories of production and theories of distribution" which
wasn't a bad title really - but I think for my purposes I could make a
really good case just by looking at the actual financial data, rather than
engaging in very subtle disputes about theoretical categories that most
people find difficult to follow). I discovered among other things that the
US Bureau of the Census recently published a Defence Department statistical
table which aims to show the domestic revenue and employment generated by
Defence contracts. It's a weird world we live in when the justification of
propping up a debt-ridden economy with military spending becomes an
acceptable economic argument... I hope to post some findings soon.
Interestingly, California got a large share of the defence contracts (but
then I guess California also has a very large population, compared to most
other states in the union).

It's incredible from a Dutch point of view to think how an economy so
wealthy as the USA could go so far into debt, and spend so little on the
strategic areas that would boost economic growth. My hunch is that many
American economists will live to regret the substitution of a "let the
market pick the winners" mania for a positively formulated economic
strategy. In retrospect, Reaganomics and its follow-up has been devastating
in its economic implications. But that is just to say that in the real
world, economic strategies are not so much determined by the rationality of
economic arguments, but rather by the competition  between social classes
for wealth and income. And "him that hath" is in a stronger position to
claim wealth now, and displace the consequences of that claim into the
future and to other areas, other people.

J.