Shanksville, PA is the town where the jet hijacked by terrorists crashed on 9/11.  It is close to Johnstown, where I taught at the Univ. of Pittsburgh campus for 32 years.  In today's New York Times, there is an article about the impact of 9/11 on the folks there.  Most are rabid Republicans and strong supporters of George W. Bush.  However, there are a good many people who are skeptical that Bush's policies are making them safer, and many who worry that no one cares about the terrible state of the economy.  Average income  and education levels are below national average.

When a local grade school teacher told the reporter that she was worried about U.S. policy in Iraq and how it might be damaging our trustworthiness abroad, another teacher burst in with the following: "I know I get defensive about this stuff, but with what we have been through and wit my husband in the military, I have to trust President George W. Bush and I support him 100 percent." . . . As a sign of her admiration, Ms. Edwards said, she bought her husband a special Christmas gift: a military action-figure doll of George W. Bush.

Michael Yates