Bob Herbert was being ironic.  Anyone who actually read the
column knows that by "best" he meant "most" informed
about trivia, and that such information is part of the
process of "entertaining ourselves to death."

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even
downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true."  (N.
Weiner)

 >>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/19/03 9:39 AM >>>
According to Bob Herbert in today's NY Times, "Americans are the
best-informed people in the history of the world."
Bill

which explains why more than 50% (according to public opinion polls
anyway) of them still think that saddam hussein was responsible for
9/11...  santa claus