That's ok, the new governor of California stood by Waldheim even when it
became public.

Paul wrote:

True, although it was probably only a secret from the public.  As I
recall,
after war the Yugoslavs filed a formal complaint against him as a war
criminal with the Allied war crimes tribunal (U.S., Soviet, UK,
French).  Since was he then was a career diplomat being posted to the key
capitals rising to Foreign Minister of Austria and since neutral
Vienna was
the center of Cold War clandestine contact and monitoring for both sides,
it is hard to believe that the key players had not worked up many a
profile
on him long before he was ran for UN Sec Gen.

To put things in context, I believe the charges never went beyond
being "in
the chain of command" for atrocities (I think against partisans and
British
commandos).  Although it was never charged that he actually initiated an
atrocity or personally supervised one, it is still a war crime to be
participate in the chain of command of one - let us remind people often.

At 03:23 PM 12/21/2003 -0800, you wrote:

Waldheim was a secret demon. That does not count.