from MS Slate:
[the New York TIMES] says that with Iraq's top Shiite cleric
demanding direct elections, the administration has decided to tweak
its transfer of sovereignty plan. The Times says the White House,
which made the decision after a series "urgent meetings," will try
to make its closed caucuses proposal "look more democratic without
changing
it in a fundamental way." As currently envisioned, the caucuses will
be controlled by U.S.-appointed committees. "We're looking at the
same process we have, but trying to make it as open, inclusive and
democratic as possible," said one unnamed official.<

isn't this the same kind of process that's used in Iran, that the US
establishment objects to?
Jim D.

Sorta like Cheney's energy meetings?