joanna bujes wrote:
Psychonalysis, in its more radical forms, helps the patient become aware
of this conditioning. Its goal (like that of Buddhism) is to enable the
subject to be fully present. This full presence is not something that is
achieved once and for all, but a practice of awareness that must be kept
up for an entire lifetime...because the present changes continually.

Like Woody Allen? Thanks. I'll stick with running in Central Park, cheap red wine and sex. Come to think of it, the last time I had any interest in Buddhism was at Bard College in 1961 when I read Alan Watts. At least reading Alan Watts didn't cost $150 per hour.

The neurotic (or in Buddhism, the man who is still "attached") is unable
to live in the present; he lives in a constant hurtling between the past
and the future. To such a man, becoming aware of conditioning as
conditioning seems tantamount to peeling away the layers of his identity
and discovering that at the center there is nothing. This is very
frightening. It is impossible to show, except through experience, that
there is a vast difference between the "no-thing" that is the "creative
void" and the nothing that most men waste a lifetime running away from.

You mean the neurotic is not adjusted to one of the most maladjusted societies since the dawn of civilization? Much of the time I feel like Alan Bates in "The King of Hearts" anyhow.

Of course, psyhoanalysis as a normative "how to fit in" science, is a
doddle. And of course, the money and the academic honors, and the
learned journals are much more interested in normative psych, bad
mothers, etc. But that's not to say that this is all that psychoanalysis
is about.

The best thing I've read on all the various psychotherapies is Joel Kovel's "Complete Guide to Therapy from Psychology to Behavior Modification", which is sadly out of print. He was a psychiatrist at the time and his growing skepticism about "cures" is palpable on every page. He finally came to the realization that it was a complete waste of time and changed careers.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org