By Michelle Goldberg
Salon.com
Full text:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/02/11/cointelpro/index_np.html

Feb. 11, 2004 | The undercover cop introduced herself to the
activists from the Colorado Coalition Against the War in Iraq as
Chris Hoffman, but her real name was Chris Hurley. Last March, she
arrived at a nonviolence training session in Denver, along with
another undercover officer, Brad Wanchisen, whom she introduced as
her boyfriend. The session, held at the Escuela Tlatelolco, a Denver
private school, was organized to prepare activists for a sit-in at
the Buckley Air National Guard Base the next day, March 15. Hurley
said she wanted to participate. She said she was willing to get
arrested for the cause of peace. In fact, she did get arrested. She
was just never charged. The activists she protested with wouldn't
find out why for months.

Chris Hurley was just one of many cops all over the country who went
undercover to spy on antiwar protesters last year. Nonviolent antiwar
groups in Fresno, Calif., Grand Rapids, Mich., and Albuquerque, N.M.,
have all been infiltrated or surveilled by undercover police
officers. Shortly after the Buckley protest, the Boulder group was
infiltrated a second time, by another pair of police posing as an
activist couple.

Meanwhile, protesters arrested at antiwar demonstrations in New York
last spring were extensively questioned about their political
associations, and their answers were entered into databases. And last
week, a federal prosecutor in Des Moines, Iowa, obtained a subpoena
demanding that Drake University turn over records from an antiwar
conference called "Stop the Occupation! Bring the Iowa Guard Home!"
that the school's chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, a civil
libertarian legal group, hosted on Nov. 15 of last year, the day
before a protest at the Iowa National Guard headquarters. Among the
information the government sought was the names of the leaders of the
Drake University Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, its records
dating back to January of 2002, and the names of everyone who
attended the "Stop the Occupation!" conference. Four antiwar
activists also received subpoenas in the investigation.

On Tuesday, after a national outcry, the U.S. Attorney's Office
canceled the subpoenas. Still, says Bruce Nestor, a former president
of the National Lawyers Guild who is serving as the Drake chapter's
attorney, "We're concerned that some type of investigation is
ongoing."

In the early 1970s, after the exposure of COINTELPRO, a program of
widespread FBI surveillance and sabotage of political dissidents,
reforms were put in place to prevent the government from spying on
political groups when there was no suspicion of criminal activity.
But once again, protesters throughout America are being watched,
often by police who are supposed to be investigating terrorism. Civil
disobedience, seen during peaceful times as the honorable legacy of
heroes like Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr., is being treated as
terrorism's cousin, and the government claims to be justified in
infiltrating any meeting where it's even discussed. It's too early to
tell if America is entering a repeat of the COINTELPRO era. But
Jeffrey Fogel, legal director of the Center for Constitutional Law in
Manhattan, says, "There are certainly enough warning signs out there
that we may be."

As a new round of protests approaches -- including worldwide antiwar
demonstrations on March 20 and massive anti-Bush actions during the
Republican National Convention in August and September -- experts say
the surveillance is likely to increase. "The government is taking an
increasingly hostile stance toward protesters," says Michael Avery,
president of the National Lawyers Guild and a professor of
constitutional law at Suffolk University. In the run-up to the
Republican Convention, he says, "I'm sure the government will be
attempting to infiltrate political groups. They may send agent
provocateurs into political groups. They're no doubt compiling
reports on people. We have to stand up against that."

No one knows the extent of the political spying and profiling
currently being carried out against critics of the Bush
administration and American foreign policy -- which may be the most
disturbing thing about the entire phenomenon. "Presumably if they're
doing their jobs well, we'll never know," says Fogel. Activists have
also been unsuccessful at finding out why they're being watched, and
under whose authority.

What we do know, though, is that several of the police departments
that have been accused of spying on protesters -- including the
Aurora, Colo., Police Department, where Hurley works -- are part of
Joint Terrorism Task Forces. These are programs in which local police
are assigned to work full-time with FBI agents and other federal
agents "to investigate and prevent acts of terrorism," as the FBI's
Web site says. According to the FBI, such JTTFs have been around
since 1980, but the total number has almost doubled since Sept. 11,
2001, to 66.

more: http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/02/11/cointelpro/index_np.html
--
IMPEACHMENT:

Purge the White House of mad cowboy disease.

END OF THE TRAIL SALOON Alternate Sundays 6-8am GMT (10pm-midnight PDT) http://www.kvmr.org

"I uke, therefore I am." -- Cool Hand Uke
"I log on, therefore I seem to be." -- Rodd Gnawkin
"I claim, therefore you believe." -- Dan Ratherthan

Visit Cool Hand Uke's Lava Tube:
 http://www.coolhanduke.com