After the second world war, the Middle East was said to have perhaps 16
million barrels in oil reserves (deposits), by 1967 the estimate had risen
to 250 billion barrels, in the 1990s it reached 500  billion, and now it's
at over 900 billion barrels or close to a trillion.

In approximate figures, official estimates of world oil reserves seem to
range from about 1 trillion barrels to 2.3 trillion barrels (correct me if I
am wrong). That's just to say we don't truly know how much oil there is on
the planet, in advance of more exploration (sounds poetic). The big
difference here is between proven reserves and potential or possible
reserves (see Dept of Energy estimates, US Geological Survey estimates and
various other "expert estimates").

I cannot assess how accurate these figures really are, but let's suppose for
the sake of argument that world oil consumption is about 28.3 billion
barrels per year. Then this suggests oil reserves would be sufficient for
anywhere between 35-80 years if consumption remained at a constant level,
and if no new reserves are proven or estimated. Now of course in reality
there is no constant level, and the average growth in annual world
consumption (taking the last decade) is around 1.3% - it might well rise to
an average of 2%. You'd have to factor that in. In that case, you'd think
that oil reserves would be depleted by consumption within anywhere between
about 15 to 40 years or so, if no new reserves are discovered.

Apart from not distinguishing precisely between output, extracted stocks
held, various oil uses, oil sales and final oil consumption, this simplistic
approximate calculation does not of course consider prices, or price
fluctuations.

If oil prices rise, consumption falls, and if prices fall, consumption tends
to rise. Oil prices are likely to rise in the future; but technological
change which would substitute other energy sources could change the picture
completely. Rising oil prices would certainly cause a diversification into
other fuel sources.

That leads me to think the debate really is about the oil running out, but
about who should have it, at what price, that's the salient point really.
Whatever the case, it's a good bet that masses of people in poor countries
will never have the opportunity to drive petrol-fueled motorcars. By the
time they have the money to buy them, insufficient oil remains to fuel those
cars with petrol at an affordable price.

As regards OPEC, while the total world output of oil in physical terms is
estimated to have trebled since 1974, in those thirty years OPEC's share of
the world oil market declined from half in 1974 to about 38% at the present,
and continues to decline. At the same time, while oil supplied one half of
the world's total primary energy demand in 1974, today it is below 40
percent.

That is just to say, that oil supply is becoming relatively less important
in aggregate as an energy source, even although world oil output has
increased gigantically in physical terms, and that, in addition, the actual
share of OPEC countries in that oil supply is substantially reduced. This
just reduces OPEC's very ability to be a "price setter", quite apart from
political factors and larger strategic oil stocks.

Take for example gas. The share of natural gas in the world's total primary
energy use is said to have risen from less than a fifth to nearly a quarter
since 1974, and continues to rise. US domestic natural gas production for
example is expected to increase by over a third in the next twenty years,
when natural gas would generate nearly a third of all US electric power,
versus less than a sixth today (but mainly US gas is substituting for US
coal, not petrol; it's cars that burn up most of the oil products).

The United States still has very large reserves of (both known and
undiscovered) natural gas and oil deposits in the ground, but really
conditions in the world energy market determine whether those resources are
explored and
developed. Petroleum exploration in the US itself just happens to cost more
than in places like Africa, Asia, South America and the Middle East, and in
these places deposit finds are larger than in the US, while fewer bores need
to be drilled to identify and extract the deposits.

Oil companies just focus on exploiting reserves in regions where energy can
be produced most profitably, at a given price structure. Although this may
mean increased dependence on imported fuels, their own relative production
costs are lowered against cartellised prices for oil, making possible
surplus-profits of various kinds.

The US itself supposed to produce about a tenth of world oil output, but
consumes nearly a quarter of that output, thus, the US imports over half of
oil consumed there. Those imports could be reduced by greater local oil
exploitation or alternative energy sources, but if this isn't happening,
it's mainly just a matter of relative prices
and costs in a capitalist market.

That is just to say, that I think energy policy is nowadays not determined
primarily by technicalities of extraction, scarcity and location factors,
but just by the actual price and market structure of various energy types,
and relative profitability considerations, as related to an actual
consumption pattern. These define whether extraction, scarcity and location
factors make an oil supply "economic". To use a non-renewable resource is
not necessarily irrational, the irrationality if anything must be in the way
that the resource is distributed by a specific system of prices.

"Oil imperialism" then seems to be essentially about influencing oil rents,
and about securing guaranteed supplies, because of the ability of oil price
fluctuations to strongly influence (1) the cost structure of industrial
production as a vital input, and (2) relative strengths of currencies, thus
affecting economic growth (hence the trend to form "strategic oil stocks" to
buffer price fluctuations or supply bottlenecks, something which is
currently a high priority in China). This gives rise to a new branch of
speculation in future oil prices.

If estimates of total real world oil deposits vary by as much as 50% in
size, and if oil exploitation is highly sensitive to price levels, then all
we can really say is that we don't truly know how much oil there is, when
exactly it
would "run out", and what it would cost to extract deposits hitherto
considered uneconomic.  In that case, as Jim Devine said, the problem of
pollution created by burning more and more petrochemicals is a probably much
more important and immediate problem to be concerned about, i.e. air
quality.

Just how one would arrive at an adequate Marxian analysis of price formation
in petrochemical production is not a problem I've had time to work on, sorry
to say. All I can say about it is, that I'm a bit skeptical of the analyses
I have read about it in the past (though the theory of absolute and
differential mining rents was never my strongest point).

After I wrote these notes  the other day, I read in the Dutch press of the
8th about some irregularities having been discovered in the reporting of
Shell's own oil stocks in previous years... funny coincidence.

Jurriaan