(Dutch Premier Balkende's visit to President Bush inspired me to write this
story).

In 1975, Dr Henry Kissinger, speaking about the CIA's policy towards Iraqi
Kurds, declared that "covert action should not be confused with missionary
work". Ahem. Amidst more horrific, gruesome carnage, Al Jazeera reported
today
that in Iraq, "The International Bible Society has distributed 10,000 books
in Arabic, titled  "Christ Has Brought Peace".

Poor Jesus, I'd personally think he'd turn in his grave, if he had one. And
if he rose again, he'd emigrate. Premier Balkenende would kick him out
of Holland. But that's rhetoric, so let's explore this further.

1. DRIED FOOD

Al Jazeera comments guardedly: "The presence of missionaries in the
majority-Muslim country is highly resented by locals as another element of
foreign interference."

In fact, Christianity Today magazine admits 96 percent of Iraq's 22 million
people are Muslim, as against a few hundred thousand Christians, and that
some Muslims are hostile to any Christian presence. So what the hell are
they doing there then ?

More recently some Christians in Iraq panicked about the idea that Sistani
would declare an Islamic State, but in fact, the Shiites have not
adopted any official policy hostile to Christian Iraqi's. That's more
Western propaganda. It would be the least of their worries. If anything,
Shiite concern is with foreign invaders trying to reshape Iraq into the
image of Christianist capitalism.

But obviously this does not stop the empire's evangelists at all. Al Jazeera
estimates about a hundred functional missionaries gained official clearance
from the occupying forces to go personally to Iraq, since Baghdad fell to
American and British troops last April. Quite possibly the number is higher,
taking into account circumstantial evidence.

Previously, the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist
Convention, which has 5,411 personnel serving around the world, raised money
from 42,000 congregations nationwide, to send about 45,000 boxes of dried
food to Iraqis (beans, rice, flour, and other staples). Jim Walker, one of
the members of the team handing out this food in Iraq, told IMB's Urgent
News bulletin that he had met village children "starved of attention, and I
could tell some of them have not eaten well. But their biggest need is to
know the love of Christ."

The christian boxes included zero religious literature (which could have
been blocked by the military at the border), but they featured a label
quoting John 1:17 in Arabic: "For the Law was given
through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ."

SBC's Jim Brown, a director of World Hunger and Relief Ministries, explained
that he thought this verse was an appropriate expression of Christian faith
to Muslims. "Moses and Jesus are both prophets for Muslims," Brown said. "I
don't think a Muslim would find that verse offensive." I would. I would get
very irate.

However, Mr Brown added that the misionary organisation had no plans for
"mass
evangelism" in Iraq. He explained, "Freedom to share God's love in Iraq is
limited to one-to-one, God-given opportunities, not man-orchestrated
events." How how does the scene operate ?

Mrs. Jackie Cone, age 72, a Pentecostalist grandmother from Ohio, went to
Iraq in 2003. She said recently God told her to join a second mission to
Iraq in
2004. "I sensed Him telling me to come back in January". Mrs Cone is
confident she has converted people in Baghdad. In her hotel, she met a
Muslim woman on crutches, with a leg operation due that day. Mrs Cone knelt
on the lobby floor, and prayed that surgery would not be required. "I saw
her that evening and she said God had healed her, and she hadn't needed the
surgery. She didn't say Allah, she pointed to Heaven and gave God the
glory," Mrs Cone said. Mrs Cone led the Kurdish woman and her brother in
prayer, asking Jesus to enter into their hearts. "I'd given them a Bible and
a Jesus video in Arabic. I think they think of themselves as Christians
now," she
said. "They have the Bible, and I hope they will grow in grace."

I hope grandma Cone returns home in one piece. If she doesn't, I don't think
it would have much to do with the Lord. Best to keep Grandma home, I would
say.

2. THE THEOLOGY OF IT

There has actually been considerable debate in American christian circles
about the real scope for evangelising the good news in post-sanctions Iraq.
Ben Homan, the president of the Food for the Hungry aid organisation,
commented quite sensibly that "If an earthquake struck in Texas, and someone
forced you to hear a religious message in exchange for food or medicine, we
think that would be wrong." Quite.

"Food for the Hungry" actually spent millions to feed thousands of Iraqi
families. World Vision is likewise actively involved in charity work (mainly
in Mosul). World Relief, Food for the Hungry, and Venture International have
been working with Jordanian church agencies and the United Nations to supply
Iraq's churches with food, medicine, and school supplies.

When the sanctions were still imposed, the scope for charity work was more
limited, but now opportunities are expanding. Along with that, the urge to
spread the truth of Jesus in Iraq is be increasing. In December last year,
John Brady, the IMB's head for the Middle East and North Africa, said
"Southern Baptists have prayed for years that Iraq would somehow be opened
to the gospel". "Southern Baptists must understand that there is a war for
souls under way in Iraq," his bulletin added, claiming that rival
missionaries also entering Iraq were "pseudo-Christian". Marxists don't seem
to have any monopoly on sectarianism, if they ever had it. In fact
modern christianism makes Marxism look rather liberal.

Jon Hanna, an Ohio evangelist associated with Connection Magazine who has
been to Iraq, took 8,000 Bibles into Iraq. He describes himself as a
humanitarian worker, who saw a window of opportunity. Hanna claims that in
November 2003, he met a missionary team from Indiana, which had shipped in
an astonishing 1.3 million Christian tracts into Iraq. "A US passport is all
you need to get in, until the new Iraqi government takes over." he said.
"What we thought was a two-year window, originally, has narrowed down to a
six month window".

The actual motivations of the modern authorities on the will of the Good
Lord Jesus vary a great deal though. For example, Jerry Vines,
former head of the Southern Baptist Convention, said the Prophet Mohammed
was a "demon-obsessed paedophile". Franklin Graham, the son of Billy Graham
and the head of Samaritan's Purse (a big donor to Iraq), has claimed that
Islam is a "very evil and wicked religion". Wonderful stuff. Just what they
need (sic.) in Iraq. Over there, people get their head blown off for saying
a lot less.

In an  interview with Time Magazine, Albert Mohler, the president of the
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary had a more theoretical explanation:
"The secular world tends to look at Islam as a function of ethnicity,which
means seeking to convert these people to Christianity is an insult to them.
But Christianity is a trans-ethnic faith, which understands that
Christianity is not particular to or captured by any ethnicity, but seeks to
reach all persons. The secular world tends to look at Iraq and say, well,
it's Muslim, and that's just a fact, and any Christian influence would just
be a form of Western imperialism. The Christian has to look at Iraq, and see
persons desperately in need of the gospel. Compelled by the love and command
of Christ, the Christian will seek to take that gospel in loving and
sensitive, but very direct, ways to the people of Iraq."

3. BIG BANG THEORY

So how does all that christianist imperialism work out in practice then ?
Let me put it this way: it could all end in a big bang, and that's not meant
as a joke, because in the modern imperialist epoch, Iraq has sustained an
extremely bloody history of religion-driven and imperialist massacres. The
import of Bibles and Bible bashers from America could make things a hell of
a lot worse, not better, regardless of what your beliefs might be. Because
with everything else going on, it aggrevates, it riles the ire of people
trying
to do very basic things to survive and improve life.

On 15 March, four US Baptist missionaries of the Virginia-based Southern
Baptist International Mission Board were shot dead in Mosul in an ambush,
including two women.  They included Karen Denise Watson, 38, a onetime jail
officer who sold her home and possessions to focus on missionary work and
was a member of Valley Baptist Church in Bakersfield since 1997; a married
couple, Larry and Jean Elliott, 60 and 58, of Cary, North Carolina; and
David E. McDonnall, 28, of Rowlett, Texas. McDonnall's wife, Carrie, 26, is
reportedly in a critical condition.

What were the missionaries doing ? Church officials in Bakersfield said they
were working on a water purification project, whereas the IMB said they were
on a trip to survey the needs of people in the region. The Elliotts had
served with the missionary organization since 1978, mostly in Honduras.
Watson had joined a year ago.

Apparently, the missionaries were travelling in one car, when they were
attacked by two or three men firing from a car with AK-47s. An off-duty
Iraqi policeman found the missionaries' car, shortly after the shooting, and
took the wounded to an Iraqi hospital. US army air medical evacuation
helicopters later transported the victims to a combat support hospital in
Mosul. Iraqi police and the FBI have been involved in an inquiry into the
incident.

"Arab Christians have been accused of being 'entities of the West,'" Gustavo
Crocker, senior vice president of programs at World Relief, stated a while
ago. "By our enabling them to show the love of Christ, we are also
strengthening the position of the church in the region."

But how can you "strengthen the position of the church", if you're dead as a
doornail ? As far as I understand the christian theory, if you're in heaven
with God, then there are no more churches you can strengthen.

4. JUST KEEPING IT SIMPLE

One of the four missionaries killed, Ms. Karen Watson, was born in
Bakersfield. She went to high school in Arroyo Grande. Church officials said
she had been converted to the faith after the deaths of her fiance, her
father and her grandmother, all within two years. "That was a crisis point
in her life," neighbors said. "Things like that could make you better, or
bitter. For Karen, it made her better."

After intensive church attendance at Valley Baptist Church, Karen said
she wanted to develop further into missionary work. So, in 2002, she
took a leave from her job as a detention officer at the Lerdo jail for the
Kern County Sheriff's Department, to go to Kosovo and El Salvador
for the Lord. Before she returned back to Iraq, Karen had sold her
home, her car and all her possessions, and had written a two-page
letter in longhand, to be opened in the event of her death.

A Valley Baptist Church Pastor, Phil Neighbors, read out a post-mortal
message by the deceased Karen Denise Watson in Bakersfield. The letter said,
"You're only reading this if I died. To obey was my objective, to suffer was
expected, his glory my reward." A section dealing with her funeral said
straightforwardly "Keep it simple".

Karen is simply dead. But where is the "glory" in this story ? I don't see
it at all. I just see these reports of carnage and mutilated corpses. Where
I live, we've had people shot dead in our neighbourhood, and nobody here
likes it, but that's chickenfeed, compared to Iraq.

The truth is that there is nothing "glorious" about Karen's death. If God is
about anything at all, God is about life, not about brutalising and
murdering people, which is what human beings do to each other. Karen should
have stayed home, or shifted out of Bakersfield somewhere else in the States
and settle down with a good man.

To cap it all, President Bush is now back on the campaign trail to defend
his war record. His advisers said reportedly on Tuesday that the President
intended to press his case that the world is safer with Saddam Hussein out
of power, and that he wanted to use the first anniversary of the war's start
on Friday to draw sharp contrasts with Kerry over foreign policy and
leadership. The IHT said Bush's initiatives "also underlined the extent to
which the campaign had become subject to the unpredictability of overseas
events, and pointed up the complications Bush faces in trying to balance the
demands of the presidency with running a re-election effort."
.
Speaking from the Oval Office on Tuesday with the Dutch prime minister, Jan
Peter Balkenende at his side, Bush demanded that John Kerry should provide
evidence to support his suggestion last week that foreign leaders want to
see Bush defeated. "If you're going to make an accusation in the course of a
presidential campaign, you've got to back it up with facts," Bush told
reporters. What more facts does he need ?

Personally, I'd have to side with John Kerry when he said to told the war
veterans: "Nothing is more important than telling the American people
the truth about the economy, health care, and war and peace. This
administration has yet to level with the American people."

Jurriaan
.