        From: paul phillips [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Mon 3/22/2004 9:37 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: [PEN-L] human capital again

        Michael,

        I have read of 'cultural capital' and 'political captital' which seems
        to be equivalent of that obscene capitalist construction called, I
        think, 'good will' which corporations can claim as wealth when they sell
        out. But that is not investment in any sense in that it does not involve
        investment  of (labour) resources in creating something of productive (
        and productive is the operative word) value.
             Human capital is something quite different.  Humans invest in
        buying  knowledge, produced by labour, which increases their
        productivity at a later date.  In that sense, human capital is a form of
        'dead labour' equivalent to  physical capital.  None of these others are
        'real' investment in 'dead labour' and hence, are not capital in the
        sense we use the term.

        Paul Phillips