    From: Craven, Jim <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 3:04 PM
    Subject: Re: [PEN-L] Another classroom exercise

    Thank you. All of my exercises are designed to reward and teach those
    who take an active interest in their education and to weed
    out--and deny
    rewards to--those who don't. On another list, someone made the
    following
    comment followed by my response. Please note that I am actually
    diminishing my powers--not enhancing them--as I am teaching them that
    what I say, perhaps especially what I say, must also be challenged,
    questioned, sourced etc.

It's too bad that it's necessary to go to such extremes in order to break students of the habits they learn from teachers who punish critical and independent thinking. I can't say that law school grading (based wholly on 3-hour final exams consisting mainly of hypothetical fact situations and possible legal claims arising from them) promotes anything resembling critical thinking about the actual purpose served by the legal system whose doctrines we diligently swallow. (name withheld)

    Response (Jim C)
    Well this exercise has many purposes: a) it is in the student's
    interest
    to continually challenge content to try to figure out if this is
    one of
    the bullshit lectures; b) they get to see what goes on every day in
    government and the courts--someone pimping a case, with all
    "sincerity"
    and gusto, that privately that person might be gagging on; c) distrust
    all "authority" including--perhaps especially--me; d) cross-check
    always
    and never uncritically copy down--and summarily accept--anything; e)
    when you see someone like Bush, feigning "sincerity" and
    "honesty", the
    more --and the more likely--the feigning, the more likely it is
    bullshit; f) the students are supposed to be active participants--not
    passive consumers--in their own education; etc.

Jim C.

    My apologies, I thought you did not tell the students that some of the
    lectures were bullshit.

Joanna

Craven, Jim wrote:

    >That's fucked. You have all the power and you're using it to
    humiliate
    >your students. Great.
    >
    >Joanna
    >
    >Response: I can see from your previous comments ( So you're
    punishing
    >your students because most economic text books are biased? If I were
    >your student, I'd be pissed at you. Joanna) that you are
    obviously not
    >a very deep or critical thinker (biased not the same as
    objective--to
    >be human is to be biased) so what you call "humiliation" others
    might
    >call creative pedagogy.
    >
    >In my textbook citations assignment, it is extra-credit; the
    operative
    >word is extra as in extra work for me, sometimes necessitated by
    >students not being with the program and then winding up needing
    >extra-credit. Further, if students take the time and effort to find
    >texts like "Anti-Samuelson" by Marc Linder or others written by the
    >likes of Sherman, Bowles, et al they can find cites.
    >
    >Now on this assignment, just who exactly gets "humiliated"?
    Remember,
    >the warning is given on the first day of class and the exact
    number of
    >bullshit lectures is given. So who gets "humiliated"?: Those who
    do not

    >take the assignment seriously; those who do not regularly attend
    class;

    >those who do not cross-check but rather uncritically accept what
    they
    >are told; those who do not connect what they are taught about
    >epistemology, critical thinking ,logical fallacies etc and the
    content
    >of what they are getting; those who see themselves as passive
    consumers