Ken Hanly wrote,

>Quite a bit of the stuff is speculation by conspiracy buffs

>The family firm of beheaded American Nick Berg, was named by a conservative
>website in a list of 'enemies' of the Iraq occupation.

There is indeed speculation in the article Ken posted a link to and it is
unfortunate because in this case the facts literally speak for themselves. I
wouldn't call Free Republic a conservative website. It is a viciously racist
forum whose participants routinely call for genocide against Muslims and/or
Arabs. I have prepared a 100% speculation-free account of the Free
Republic/Nick Berg matter.

Internet Hate Group Targeted Michael S. Berg, Company

by the Sandwichman

Two weeks before Nicolaus Berg was allegedly picked up by Iraqi police, a
right-wing hate group calling itself Free Republic published on the internet
a hit list of "enemies"
(http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1092851/posts) with the avowed
purpose of harassing and harming individuals on the list. The list was
copied from an online petition supporting a March 20, 2004 demonstration
sponsored by the anti-war group ANSWER. It included the name of Michael S.
Berg and listed his affiliation as Prometheus Methods Tower Services, Inc.

Tactics discussed by the right-wingers included circulating the names to
employers, the FBI and the military in anticipation of causing them "serious
grief." One participant stated, "I sure do hope to see a round of hangings
soon." The larger Free Republic site abounds with apocalyptic imagery,
frequent calls for genocide against Muslims and Arabs and expressions of
adoration for US President George W. Bush.

"Here you are, FReepers." wrote 'doug from upland,' the instigator of the
enemies list, , "Here is the enemy. Working in conjunction with
A.N.S.W.E.R., they have given us their names. How about this one --- Jameel
Rashid, U.S. Coast Guard, Portsmouth, VA. Well, sailor. I guess it is time
for me to call your commanding officer and see what he thinks about this."

The discussion topic is identified on the site by the "keywords":
APPEASENIKS; DAMNCOMMIES; ENEMYWITHIN; LEFTISTS; PEACENIKS; RATS; SCUMBAGS;
TRAITORS; TREASONOUSSCUM; USEFULIDIOTS; WARONTERROR

"Less [sic] we forget," replied 'bmwcycle,' "Everyone send this to Rush,
Sean, Fox, and everyone you can e-mail this list. Don't stop until everyone
has a copy."

The tone of discussion on the topic, which initially continued from March 7
to March 12 2004, may be summarized by the following comments:

"The poor moron is not going to know what hit him."

"2000 piles of puke on the floor, representing the who's who of the world of
stench."

"Ah, too bad we don't have some pictures so we could make up a rogues
gallery of some of the individuals."

"Turn on the full volume idiot alert with red strob [sic] light. This is
priceless ---"

"I only wish this putz worked for me. I can assure you, he would rue the day
his mother delivered him."

Discussion on the list had played itself out by March 12, totalling 269
messages. Then on May 11 it resumed with the message, "The guy who was
beheaded was on this list. He was also arrested by Iraqi police and held in
an Iraqi prison for a few weeks before he was kidnapped. I think they
treated him better in the prison than the kidnappers did." This was followed
by a correction, "Michael S. Berg, Teacher, Prometheus Methods Tower
Service, Inc.," I believe this is the father of Nick Berg - I wonder what he
thinks about his Muslim buddies now..."

One respondent to the message, "'He won't blame the Islamofascist bastards.
He will blame the president'... and he has," expressed a desire to "spit in
the face" of Michael Berg. It was deleted by the list moderator, (comment
#275).

Another relayed the information that the FReeper enemies list was being
mentioned in connection with Nick Berg's murder.

"Did you know FreeRepublic is being partially blamed for Nick Bergs
beheading?" Asked one participant.

A subsequent message sought to disown any possible culpability, "FR just
copied a list. Whoever put the list together in the first place is in the
mix too." Two messages, struck by conscience or public relations savvy
quickly offered pro-forma, if mixed expressions of magnanimity: "My heart
and prayers go out to the Berg family, and Mr. Berg's friends. My prayers
also go, daily, to our fightig [sic] men and women, and that God will strike
our enemies senseless." "My prayers are for the Berg family and friends
also. Regardless of their politics they are parents and I have sympathy for
what they must be going through. It has to be heart wrenching.

The last comment on the list, as of 4:10 am on May 13 complained, "Now we at
Freerepublic are responsible for Berg's death-because of this thread?" But
perhaps the answer to that had already appeared, two messages earlier with
presumably unintentional irony: "When is the last time you saw someone on
the political right do property damage or deliberately injure someone? When
do we call for the death of anyone other than our enemies?"