From: PEN-L list [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Yoshie
Furuhashi
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 4:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Building a Movement That Outlasts the Occupation

Max Sawicky, an economist at the Economic Policy Institute who keeps a very
popular blog MaxSpeak, argues that right-wingers are forming a lynch mob to
scapegoat the US soldiers in the Abu Ghraib torture photographs, trying to
pass off what happened at Abu Ghraib as an isolated incident and to
exonerate the power elite of the White House, the US military, and private
"security" firms:

So the correct line is straight-forward: investigate the brass, the CIA, the
civilian DoD leadership, and the contractors. Any problems in those areas
are much more important than the perverse behavior of some individuals on
the front lines.

Support the troops, or support the command. The right choice is clear.
("Support the Troops," May 8, 2004)

Indeed, activists ought to seize this moment of division in the right-wing
ranks and exacerbate a legitimation crisis for the George W. Bush
administration, rather than letting the right sacrifice individual soldiers
-- victims turned victimizers on a small scale -- who are expendable in
their eyes to protect the biggest war criminals of all:

Inside the White House, several of Mr. Bush's aides have argued that he has
little choice but to make them public. Sooner or later, they say, the images
will leak out, prolonging the pain, fueling Iraqi and Arab suspicions of a
Pentagon-orchestrated cover-up, and giving new life to calls for Defense
Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's removal.

Many in the Pentagon, though, are resisting. Pentagon officials warned that
a public release could jeopardize its criminal inquiry.
They theorized that defense lawyers could cite a governmental release in
motions to dismiss charges, arguing that their clients could not get a fair
hearing. So far, seven soldiers are facing charges related to abuse of Iraqi
detainees. . . .

That argument [about whether, when, and how to disclose hitherto unreleased
images to the public] broke out in public on Sunday when the chairman of the
Senate Armed Services Committee, John W. Warner, Republican of Virginia,
seemed to back keeping the images from public view, describing them as "of a
classified nature" on the NBC News program "Meet the Press." He was
immediately challenged by a fellow Republican, Senator Lindsey Graham of
South Carolina, who shot back:
"If there's a videotape out there, for God's sake let's talk about it,
because men and women's lives are at stake, given how we handle this. So I
want to get it all out on the table." (Thom Shanker, "Officials Grapple With
How and When to Release Images," New York Times, May 10, 2004)

Activists also have a chance of making an anti-occupation movement become
more than a movement of predominantly white activists who think that the
best way to expand the movement is to focus on Iraq alone. . . .

The rest of the posting is at
<http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/05/building-movement-that-outlasts.html>.
--
Yoshie