Globe and Mail    Coomment Saturday, May 8, 2004 - Page A23

Cut and run, and do it now

To hell with Wilsonian crusades -- the U.S. must get out of Iraq. The longer
it stays, the worse things will get for everyone

By John MacArthur

Not long before U.S. soldiers made news with their sadistic, co-ed photo
shoot of Iraqi prisoners, I dined with a small group of pedigreed New York
liberals -- the ones known as Bush-haters -- and a ghost.

The conversation was following a predictable course -- contempt for the
President pouring forth as freely as the wine -- so I didn't think twice
about proposing a unilateral withdrawal of U.S. troops, the very opposite of
saving face, and a strategy already labelled "cut and run" by Karl Rove.

All the living beings at the table were old enough to remember the crazy
rhetoric of Vietnam troop escalation, as well as the cruelly absurd policies
of de-escalation, Vietnamization and peace with honour, so why the awkward
silence when I had finished? Suddenly the ghost spoke -- through the medium
of a law school professor, who informed me that America had a "moral
obligation" to remain in Iraq. Before the medium could go on, his socially
astute wife aborted the seance, and we moved on to safer topics.

The ghost was Woodrow Wilson. Sadly, every debate on Iraq is dominated by
his notion of moral obligation, not by George W. Bush's lies about
atomic-bomb threats; not by the mounting corpses; not by the foolish
distraction from tracking al-Qaeda; not by the war profiteering by Mr.
Bush's friends and patrons; not by the violation of the U.S. Constitution
and the Geneva Convention; not by the waste of money that could rebuild the
United States's degraded public school system; not by the lessons from
Vietnam. The Democratic "opposition" carps, but its presidential candidate
suggests escalation -- more troops (some in different uniforms) to stabilize
a situation that cannot be stabilized.

Mr. Bush and his friends from Halliburton are busy looting Iraq to enrich
their temporal bank accounts, but Wilsonian liberals remain preoccupied with
their immortal souls. The high-spirited U.S. volunteer army builds pyramids
out of terrified, naked detainees, and John Kerry insists that "we cannot
let the actions of a few overshadow the tremendous good work that thousands
of soldiers are doing every day in Iraq and all over the world."

What will people say about us if we pull out? Last week, a Democratic
congressman too young to remember Vietnam even told me that U.S. credibility
is at stake in Iraq, that "we can't leave . . . can't cut and run."

Who says we can't leave? Sir Woodrow of the 14 points, that's who.

Liberals rarely invoke Mr. Wilson by name, yet I can always hear the pious,
self-righteous and intolerant intellectual from Virginia creeping into their
voices. If ever there was a time to argue against Mr. Wilson's faith-based
ideology, it's now, before too many more people die guarding gas stations
and oil-field contractors.

Mainstream historians typically attribute Mr. Wilson's simplistic, Manichean
view of the world to his fervent Presbyterian beliefs -- what political
historian Walter Karp summarized as "Wilson's tendency to regard himself as
an instrument of Providence and to define personal greatness as some
messianic act of salvation." Mr. Wilson's relentless perversion of
Enlightenment ideals struck a chord in predominantly Protestant America,
this country having been formed partly on a Calvinist idea of an elect
people. At the same time, he sought to impose Rousseau's and Paine's rights
of man on the non-elect peoples of the world, whether or not these noble
savages wanted any part of them. "The world must be made safe for
democracy," he famously cried in his war message to Congress in April, 1917.

Forcing democracy down the throats of tribal-based Arab clans was likely not
at the top of Mr. Wilson's agenda at the Paris Peace Conference, but his
lofty language masked the essential contradiction of ordering
self-government at the point of a gun.

(When they colonized Iraq, the British didn't hesitate to borrow Wilsonian
rhetoric about self-determination and liberation from Turkish despotism.)
Mr. Wilson had made a test run of his ideals with his senseless and bloody
interference in domestic Mexican politics, at Vera Cruz in 1914, but it was
the U.S. intervention in the First World War that set the course of
20th-century U.S. foreign policy.

Most Americans wanted to remain neutral in the European butchery; indeed,
political self-interest compelled Mr. Wilson to campaign for re-election in
1916 on a promise to keep us out of the Great War. But before long, on the
grounds that "the right is more precious than peace," Mr. Wilson was sending
unwitting farm boys off to inhale poison gas and die in the trenches of
Flanders.

Didn't the Wilsonian Bush-haters like my dinner acquaintance note Mr. Bush's
cynical invocation of St. Woodrow during his state visit to London in
November? Referring to the "God-given [not secular law- enforced] dignity of
every person" Mr. Bush observed that "the last president to stay at
Buckingham Palace was an idealist, without question." Mr. Wilson, he
recalled with misplaced irony, "made a pledge; with typical American
understatement, he vowed that right and justice would become the predominant
and controlling force of the world."

Mr. Bush's smirking pieties fall flatter with each wasted life of an
American soldier, with each dead Arab woman or child. But they also reveal
both his insincerity and his grandiose identification with his predecessor.

He has no intention of establishing anything more than a puppet government
in Iraq; when it comes to sheer effrontery, George Bush has perhaps only one
peer: Woodrow Wilson.

Even severe critics of the Iraq fiasco, like Peter W. Galbraith, feel
obliged to endorse the smug Wilsonian premise of the invasion. (Does anyone
remember that Hitler initially achieved power through the democratic
"process"?) Writing in the latest New York Review of Books, he flatly states
that "except for a relatively small number of Saddam Hussein's fellow Sunni
Arabs who worked for his regime, the peoples of Iraq are much better off
today than they were under Saddam Hussein."

How can he be so sure? A recent USA Today poll found that 46 per cent of the
Iraqis surveyed felt that more harm than good had come of the invasion, with
only 33 per cent responding that more good than harm had been done. More
than 56 per cent thought U.S. and British forces should leave promptly.
Unable to answer pollsters are the uncounted thousands of dead Iraqi
non-combatants; are they better off today than they were under Saddam? It
doesn't matter too much to the Wilsonians; they always mean well when they
spill blood.

Count me out of the Woodrow Wilson brigade. Maybe there is a role for the
United Nations in Iraq, although I suspect that occupying soldiers wearing
different uniforms will be taken about as seriously as a League of Nations
mandate. We do have a moral obligation: to withdraw from Iraq as soon as
possible, not build a Potemkin village and call it democracy.

I understand that full-scale civil war between Sunnis and Shias may well
break out after we leave, with or without UN peacekeepers. Of course, I hope
that author Mahmood Mamdani was correct when he told Bill Moyers in a recent
interview, that everything becomes negotiable (even elections) once the
United States announces a genuine withdrawal because "it will separate the
terrorists from the nationalists . . . the nationalist then has no reason to
confront the U.S. militarily; the terrorist does."

In the event of civil war, we must assume a second moral obligation: to
accept as many refugees as possible, just as we did with some of the
non-communist Vietnamese who fled Hanoi's advancing armies. We welcomed
President Nguyen Van Thieu and Gen. Nguyen Cao Ky; we should even find a
place for stalwart members of the Iraqi Governing Council.

John R. MacArthur is publisher of Harper's Magazine.