My guess is that the present value of historic resource
rents (mineral, timber, land use) from colonial
areas is huge.

>From a little essay I wrote:

For starters, Abdel-Fadil (1987) claims that colonial powers had seized 85
percent of the planet's surface area by 1914.

-----Original Message-----
From: PEN-L list [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Devine, James
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 5:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: imperalist booty

[was: RE: [PEN-L] The new Iraqi Flag ( imperialist booty)]

Doug writes:>I keep wanting to see some rigorous proof that the First World
is rich primarily at the expense of the Third, which is something I hear
people assert pretty often.<

The assertion seems to be based on the implicit assumption that first-world
workers don't produce surplus-value. Nor do other workers, so that the whole
story is one of redistribution between regions (unequal exchange, looting,
etc.)

(gonna shake some imperialist booty!)

Jim D.