Michael said:

> I cannot understand what kind of communist party would join with the US,
or why we
> should take such a party seriously.

I don't think that's the real issue. No-one knows whether the insurgents are
more popular than the US-backed council; it will take an election to
establish that. And what is "imperialism", if not the presumption that one
knows better than people on the ground? Why should we take _our_ views ---
few of us being experts on Iraqi history or politics --- more seriously than
the views of Iraqis who live in Iraq at the moment, and have also lived
there throughout Saddam's regime?

regards,

Grant.