see
<<<

below

----- Original Message -----
From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: [PEN-L] Is this Stalingrad?

Chris,
you talked about Stalingrad in Iraq a little more than a year ago and
that scenario didn't work out. Why was that prediction/understanding
wrong? The current "Stalingrad" seems more plausible, but your overuse
of the term pushes me to be skeptical and to wonder it maybe things
are better for the US and its junior partner than it seems.

Further, we should remember that the "coalition" forces in Iraq are by
and large working class. They're being exploited just like (or more
than) factory workers, though at this point there's no surplus-value
directly resulting from their labors. There must be some way to oppose
the war while supporting the troops.

<<<

You mean, Jim, like saying, lets bring our boys home, and stop them
getting killed or sexually abusing their captives, because it's
neither safe nor glorious? - and if some peace keeping forces are
necessary under the control of the UN, perhaps it might be cheaper if
they come from muslim countries?

Thanks for the reminder of the prophetic thread. It was on March 23
2003 I see from our handy archives that I wrote an item with the
thread title Baghdad-Stalingrad

I ended "Since this morning, I put the chances of US defeat up from
10% to 20%"

As of today, who would put the chances of US victory as high as 80%???

Would you bet on it? It's less than evens. Events have not only passed
the tipping point, collapse is a real possibility. At least they were
able to resupply readily from the sea in the case of Vietnam.

Is the simile really overused? There is a massively powerful army
over-extended in territory that is hostile, with a people that has
found a way to resist. Russia - Napoleon, Hitler. Iraq - Bush.

Everything that is happening is consistent with the strategy of armed
resistance attributed to the Iraqi security services in a document
of January 2003.

The defeat of a massive invading army does not happen overnight. Of
course it can smash oppostion at first.

 Stalingrad occurred not in 1941 but in 1943.

The analysis of the underlying contradictions from sources we could
all read a year ago was broadly correct.

Thank you for the reminder.

http://csf.colorado.edu/mail/pen-l/2003I/msg02442.html

Regards

Chris