----- Original Message -----
From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 2:15 PM
Subject: [PEN-L] Who Will Do the Science of This Millennium?

> A fascinating headline on the front page of the New York Times
> announces: "U.S. Is Losing Its Dominance in the Sciences"
> (William J. Broad, March 3, 2004).

Yes this too caught my eye, republished in this morning's
International Herald Tribune in London.

It is hard to know when a wobble is a tipping point, but this too
might be a tipping point of world historical dimensions.

Fundamentally it is about the battle between living labour and dead
labour, as the means of production develop on a global basis to
produce an intelligentsia numbered across the world in hundreds of
millions of people.

And scientific technology is crucial in capitalist competition to win
relative surplus value by reducing the labour content of commodities.

In the earlier nineties the US fear was that Japan would master the
software of what was then called the fifth generation of computers. In
fact US software companies moved ahead and companies like Microsoft
and Google are close to global monopolies.

Another crucial area is in bioengineering which is heavily dominated
by the US in a field of commodity production that will grow in
relative size by comparison with the total superfluity of commodities,
because to the importance of health options in individual choices.
However the simplistic mechanical dream of monopoly powers arising
from patenting genes has proved illusory.

More fundamentally the massive concentration of capital, of dead
labour, in the USA is on the ebb, with the dollar only likely to
stabilise at a lower exchange rate than in the 90's relative to other
currencies - a very damaging trend which essentially devalues US
labour power in the world. The US has no future in trying to undercut
the wages of other countries.

So it is not surprising to see the statistics in this article that the
"brain drain" to the USA is faltering, as the mass of capital is
presumably not massive enough to provide the only pre-eminent
highly-paid monopoly centres of good research.

And in the battle between living labour and dead labour, living labour
is always decisive. Capital has to restabilise always on the basis of
living labour not of dead labour, if it is to continue to accumulate.
And here we see the massive social capital of the ancient
civilisations of Asia coming into its own.(And, yes, Ben Fine and
Juriaan Bendian notwithstanding I consider social capital compatible
with a marxist analysis of the productive forces). The riches of these
societies in their complex human intelligence are now fully engaged
with modern global communications. The great majority of the best
workers by brain from these countries do not need to travel to the USA
to excel. That is the crunch.

So yes indeed these phenomena may be a tipping point and not a mere
wobble.

Civilisations and Empires come to an end through their own
contradictions. We may, please God,  yet see the old world, for all
its own painful contradictions, stepping forward to redress the
balance of the new. Revolutions as well as wobbles are the norm in
nature.

Chris Burford
London