What's the point of disagreement? I didn't disagree with any of this. I believe that
Russia is developing into a stabilized state capitalist society with a lot of unique
characteristics, moving away from the anarchic oligarchic model into one governed by
the bureaucracy. Did I say anything different?

Of COURSE it's a plus -- as compared to oligarchic capitalism.

Actually it is hard to place the Russian chinovniki into a class analysis, at first
examination. They are an odd bird.

BTW the "painfully" comment is a bit arrogant.

---

Chris, it is painfully obvious that you don't speak "Marxism-Leninese",
if by this you mean the method of analysis pioneered by Karl Marx and
adopted by many intellectuals and activists over the past 150 years or
so. Russia's path will not be determined by who is the chief executive,
but by the underlying class dynamics. The fact that the CEO of Yukos is
in jail will have little impact on class formation in Russia, which has
essentially gone through two phases. In the first phase, Yeltsin
presided over a "crony capitalism" that undermined the geopolitical
aspirations of a layer of the former bureaucracy that was for capitalism
but opposed to the weaking of Russia's position in the world. Putin came
to power with the expectation that he would rein these forces in. This
he has done. But in the long run, a Russia bourgeoisie will continue to
coalesce because the economy is based on the private accumulation of
capital, no matter whether Gazprom is owned by the state or private
investors. Since this question of state ownership can be very confusing,
I urge PEN-L'ers to look at a piece I wrote on Algeria that was meant to
rebut "State Capitalist" theory. The interesting thing is that where
they place a minus, Chris places a plus.