      From: Shane Mage [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Sent: Tue 5/25/2004 9:23 PM
      To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Subject: Re: [PEN-L] The Origins of Continents

      Jayson Funke asks:

      "Can anyone tell me of [the] origin of the term continents?"

      The term is of Greek origin, *epeiros*.  It seems to have been first
      used in the sense of "continent" by Herodotos.  Plato, at Timaios 25A,
      speaks of the American  continent:  "...all that we have
      here, lying within the Pillars of Herakles, is evidently a bay with
      a narrow entrance [in Phaedo he compares the Mediterranean  to a frog
      pond] but that yonder [the Atlantic] is a real ocean, and the land
      surrounding it may most rightly be called, in the fullest and truest
      sense, a continent."

      Shane Mage

      "When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
      things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even
      downright silly.

      When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
      things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true."  (N.
      Weiner)