The New York Times obtained an unpublished Army report (completed on
November 5, 2003) by Maj. Gen. Donald J. Ryder, which confirms the
Red Cross's findings: "General Ryder, the Army's provost marshal,
reported that some Iraqis had been held for several months for
nothing more than expressing 'displeasure or ill will' toward the
American occupying forces" (Jehl and Zernike, May 30, 2004). . . .

The article by Douglas Jehl and Kate Zernike included a particularly
telling remark attributed to "an American general at the headquarters
in Baghdad": "I don't care if they are innocent; if we release them,
they'll go out and tell their friends that we're after them" (Douglas
Jehl and Kate Zernike,"Report Warned Hundreds Held in Abu Ghraib on
No Evidence: Top U.S. Brass in Baghdad Vetoed Release," San Francisco
Chronicle, May 30, 2004).

What is a little odd is that, while the National Edition (in print)
of the New York Times and the online edition of the San Francisco
Chronicle, both of which published Jehl and Zernike's article,
included the general's remark quoted above, the online edition of the
New York Times somehow omitted it.

The full posting at
<http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/05/detained-for-expressing-displeasure-or.html>.
--