James Devine wrote:
it seems that options expensing is easy if firms are able to count
options as a cost in their taxes (if I remember what Nomi said
correctly). Simply count them as an equal cost when calculating
profits for the stockholders.

Of course.

It's reminiscent of a land reform program I heard about (perhaps a
fictional one, in Galbraith's THE TRIUMPH ) in which the landowners
were compensated for their expropriated land according to the value
that the claimed in their tax forms.

Fictionalized, but not in the least fictional.  Right after the barbudos
entered Havana on Jan. 1, 1959,  a large number of capitalist properties
were "intervened" and soon thereafter expropriated.  The owners
were offered full compensation *at the value they themselves had
estimated on their tax forms*.  This was the casus belli for the
45+ years of US economic, political, and covert military war against Cuba.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even
downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true."  (N.
Weiner)