Aha

I see the hegemons this evening have already decided to move fast to
revise their text to accept that the troops will be go whenever the
Iraqis even the interim government, request it, as I suggested might
be the end result of the debates.

The hegemons presumably calculate that abject surrender is best
achieved as promptly as possible so that the technicalities will not
be noticed against the backdrop of Bush meeting the Pope.

It also undermines the advantage the imperialist rivals get by
spinning out the negotiations, and it moves the power game onto a new
territory altogether.

It seems possible that the interim government is quite sophisticated
and Allawi knows how to balance everything out, including how to use
Shristani to neutralise Al Sadr's militia. Interesting that the
kidnappings stopped as a general policy.

Meanwhile it becomes in the interests of the occupying troops to
retire to barracks, avoid confrontations, and too many convoys, and
try to think of a strategy against mortars.

Indeed the tables may be turned with the intermin government pleading
with them not to leave, in a way that will finally give some political
support to Bush and Blair in covering themselves with their domestic
electorates. The other pay off would be if it manages to turn military
hegemony once again into financial dominance, if in return for staying
in Iraq the interim government will give primacy to a financial
framework in which US interests dominate over those of old Europe.

The fine print of these inter-imperialist skirmishings could get even
finer and harder to analyse. They will include hazy terms for "debt
forgiveness" - there are technical terms like "odious" I think. It
will also depend on how contracts get awarded.

The interim government will minimise the hegemons bargaining power the
faster it achieves on the ground compromises with local militias.
Llocal militias in turn may be persuaded to compromise if this allows
the interim government apparently to  accelerate statements distancing
themselves from the occupyers.

It is just possible then that as almost all sides want the occupying
troops out as rapidly as possible, things will stabilise punctuated
only by terrorist activity that finds it difficult to find a target
that will strengthen its position with general Iraqi opinion.

All right, highly speculative, but the last speculations were not wide
of the mark. What I am basing these thoughts on to be explicit is 1)
calculation of the shifting balance of power and how others may see it
2) respect for the intelligence and resilience of Iraqi people.

Chris Burford