Here we go again:

  "I read it in the (New York Times, Newsweek, National Geographic, the
National Enquirer,  All of the Above); I saw it on TV;  I heard (Colin
Campbell, Mike Davis, Homer Simpson, All of the Above) say it.  Ergo Mark
Jones was right."

Amazing.  In the very midst of the exposure of the natural gas "crisis" of
the 2000, 2001 as market manipulations;  in the very midst of the revelation
that crude and refined petroleum stocks in the US and the advanced countries
are at record levels, thus generating high spot prices, allowing companies
to "book" inventory valuation based  profits;  despite the fact that natural
gas prices soared as a response too price reductions after the bringing to
market of new supplies;  despite the fact that Shell's reserve reductions,
like its reserve inflation, were accounting adjustments and accounting
tricks; despite the fact that gasoline price increases have been shown to be
the product of similar market manipulations, based in part of fixed asset
reductions and production restrictions-- despite all that the sky is
falling; chicken little is right; and so was Hobbes because the future is
nasty brutish and short, so close out your positions and take the money and
run.

"Even though reserves have risen, output has fallen..."  This should tell us
something, as reserves have risen, and output has fallen as a result of the
mega-mergers of the 90s which allowed the combined companies the "luxury" of
booking combined reserves while struggling with the overweight combined
fixed assets.  You can look it up.

Actually you can look it down, in the very same article in the NYT:

 "What we have now is meaningless data," Mr. Simmons said. Big oil
companies once prided themselves on conservative reserve estimates. But
today, to justify multibillion-dollar investments in politically or
technologically risky fields, companies have become much more
aggressive, he said.

Mr. Simmons is making a social, economic analysis.  Not a geological one.

Call me old-fashioned, but.. I would think Marxists would want to look at
rates of return, fixed asset levels rather than geology before making
determinations as to the real reasons for changes in output.