More generally, the Manchester index (Unemployment rate * duration of unemployment) is
a shaky. If you multiply two numbers that move together most of the time, you get a
number that exaggerates the movement of either one.  There isn't much in the way of
new information.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine