Quoting Dan Scanlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Checking Your Bill for a New Charge Called 'Oops'
>
>   By David Pogue
>
> (SF Chronicle, Dec. 4, 2003) -- Every few years, economists identify
> another mutant variation of inflation to keep them awake at night. In
> the 1980s, it was stagflation. Three years ago, it was deflation. And
> now, meet the economic specter of the new millennium: stealth
> inflation.

[clip]

I think this article is on to something.  My own experience with this
phenomenon has been with my VISA credit card company.  I'd had the card for
something like 20 years with no problems or complaints--virtually always paid
on time, etc.--when three or so years ago, suddenly and unilaterally, they
canceled my VISA card and replaced it with a Mastercard. (The subsequently
given rationale was that they'd negotiated a better deal with M-card.)

Problem was, I already had a Mastercard and didn't need another--I wanted the
VISA card I'd always had.  I called and told a customer rep this, and told him
I wanted the same setup I've always had--i.e.,a VISA card with no annual fee,
and no interest charges if the bill is paid on time each month.  He said yep,
no problem, and sent me a new card. Fine.

It wasn't until I got the next bill I found out that it had an annual fee.  So
I call.  They say, oops, it was a mistake, we'll cancel the fee, but we've got
to send you a different card. I say, one without an annual fee, right?  They
say, right, and send me a new card. Great.

Until the next bill, where I see an interest charge, even though I'd paid the
previous bill on time.  So I call, and find out that on that card you
accumulate interest charges immediately, whether or not the bill is paid on
time. They say, oops, sorry, we'll cancel the interest charge, but we have to
send you a new card.  And I say, this one won't have an annual fee or
immediately accumulating interest, right?  And they say, right.  And send me
another new card.  Okay.

Well, at least I haven't had to change cards since then, but there have still
been occasional annoying irregularities always resulting in me being charged
for something I didn't know about, and requiring a phone call to a customer rep
to clear up.  In the latest go-round,for example, I got very busy recently and
did something very unusual:  I entirely forgot to send in the payment for a
monthly bill.  I discovered this when I got the next bill, with, of course, a
hefty late fee and big interest charges.

Oh, well, I think, my fault.  I call a customer rep and ask how much I'd have
to send in right then in excess of the amount on the current bill in order to
catch up with *all* interest charges, so there would be no further accumulation
of interest charges on the next bill, assuming I paid it on time. So the
customer rep calculates a number, I add an additional figure *on top* of that,
and send in my payment. Everything taken care of.

...Except not so much, since there were still additional interest charges on my
next bill.  So again I call, and find out from the customer rep that the
earlier rep had made a mistake in advising me(oops), because it is company
policy to let interest charges that result from late payments accumulate on any
oustanding balances for *two* months, even if everything is paid in full after
*one.*  I see. But she deleted the interest charge.

At some point in the above string of misfeasance I had the urge to get on PEN-L
and ask if others had similar experiences.  But then I thought, nah, probably
just a combination of bad luck, miscommunication, new and untrained customer
reps,etc. But now I'm not so sure. And I'm wondering, in light of the article
Dan forwarded, if others have had something like this experience with their
credit cards.  In the meantime, you can find me in the barter economy.

Gil