I largely agree with you, although I think you can find historical instances
where the ruling class adjudges some degree of change necessary to act as a
safety valve releasing mass pressures which threaten to overwhelm the
system. The New Deal comes to mind in a period which saw the rapid growth
internationally of the left. Of course, where a ruling class feels it has no
room for concessions, as in tapped-out Italy, Germany, and elsewhere in
Europe at the time, the move is mostly in the other direction. As you note,
there's never perfect unanimity, and the reform/repression options are
always up for debate.

Some on the left, including on this list, imagine that the US corporate and
political establishment is currently faced with this choice -- ie. either a
move  towards greater repression under the Republicans, or a "prophylactic"
move to dump them in favour of the Democrats to siphon off popular
discontent.

Bit what popular unrest do they see which would provoke this kind of
reaction? There's a good deal of disillusionment about Iraq and the
persistent disgruntlement about capitalist inequality and hardships, but
there is no organized left of any consequence in the US -- inside or outside
the DP -- which would have the ruling class contemplating extraordinary
measures. If the Nader/Camejo ticket were to surprise, it would sit up and
register the change in temperature, but I doubt it would start to panic just
yet.

Marv Gandall