Here is another article from my files.  I have just included the parts relevant to the
tail
of the thread.  Customers don't notice or don't care [or don't want to spend the time].

Most of the fees and usurious interest rates and the like fall on the backs of the
poor.
Besides falling outside the CPI calculations, they also mean that the distribution of
income is even more lopsided.

Mayer, Caroline E. 2002. "Add-Ons Add Up: Firms Are Finding New Ways To Tack Fees on
Basic
Bills." Washington Post (17 November): p. H 1.
 And there's another reason companies do add-ons: Consumers let them do it.
 Most of the time, consumers don't notice the extra fees -- or feel they are so small,
they
don't care. There are only a few times when consumers have protested, most notably
after
Sprint decided to charge some of its PCS wireless customers -- primarily those with
poor
credit ratings who were on a special price plan -- $3 when they wanted to speak to a
customer-service representative.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department