Ravi, with all due respect, Iif the US really wanted to make things better the money
that they spend now could buy many more Islamic soldiers, without the stigma of US
control.

If the US left Iraqis decide the fate of their gov't, it would probably be
anti-American and theocratic.

Engels once said that the worst time for a bad government is when it first tries to
do good.  Doing good in this case will not be easy, but the military is too blunt an
object to acomplish anything good.

But the US is not interested in doing good.  It wants to avoid humiliation.  One of
the generals said that the US can take its humiliation now or later.  It has to
decide how much humiliation it wants.

But then, maybe with enough money and lives, the US can establish an ARENA-like party
that will do its bidding, allowing the US to sneak away.  I doubt it, though.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321