>What is the best source that discusses the pre-reform political and economic developments in China. The Monthly Review special issue focuses almost entirely on post-1978. Would a comparison of directions/developments pre- and post -978 be worthwhile?

The archives of the A-List probably contains much material on China. Henry C.K. Lis is a first rate . . .  actually excellent economist . . . in my opinion and is well within Marxism and a prolific writer on China and world economy.

Recently we discussed aspects of the Monthly Review article on China. Currently things are a bit slow with it being the vacation time of year and all. Henry is a regular contribution to Asia Times.

I generally write a more intense version of material sent to Pen-L on the A-List. At any rate the archives are really worth looking at.

Melvin P.