How much would all of these promises cost? Let's begin with the biggest proposal. The
only existing score for the health plan was provided by Kenneth Thorpe, a former
Clinton official and Emory University professor. He at first placed the cost of Mr.
Kerry's health plan alone at about $1 trillion. Mr. Thorpe subsequently revised the
figure downward to $653 billion to account for some rather mysterious "savings,"
apparently because the health plan's vague statements concerning prevention will
yield miraculously precise lower expenses in later years.

The higher number is more reasonable. But starting with the lower number, the
National Taxpayers' Union Foundation recently estimated that Mr. Kerry's proposals
would increase government spending by $226 billion in his first year in office.
That's about $2,000 per American family, or 10% of the federal budget. While the
report did not include a 10-year score, the construction of one is hardly rocket
science. My own calculations suggest that the total costs of Mr. Kerry's proposals
would be at least $2 trillion from 2005 to 2014.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321