Melvyn posed posed one of the truly difficult challenges that the left faces:
learning how to learn from the masses at the same time as we supply them with
information.  Listening is a very difficult skill.  I remember trying to speak with
the boyfriend of my first wife's mother.  He worked in a gas station.  He was not
stupid, but he was angry.  He directed much of this anger at Blacks, but I think he
was racist.  He just had this anger and he did not know where to direct it.

Fortunately, I just read a wonderful book -- The Hidden Injuries of Class -- which
helped me to translate some of his words into what he was really thinking rather than
to come down on him as a stupid racist.  I do not pretend to be entirely successful.
Usually the discussion would get to a degree of rationality, but then would return to
the same ugly spot the next time we would meet.

In a way, Melvyn is at a great advantage, coming from his experience as an auto
worker, an environment that has a long history militancy, both intellectual and
practical.  But he is absolutely correct in realizing that Bush is much more
effective than speaking to the working-class family on the left.  I wish it were
otherwise.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department