> Some scholars (sorry, I don't have the reference here) argue that even the British
> empire wasn't profitable for Britain as a whole. But it clearly benefited the upper
> classes, who were more important in decision-making.
>
> Jim Devine

LP: >The British Empire operated on a capitalist basis, whether or not
workers got some crumbs from the table (which they surely did.) The USSR
did not. It subsidized its "colonies", as the NY Times article points out.<

so the USSR didn't have classes? what principles did it follow? was Stalin a
benevolent despot?

it's clear that the USSR subsidized its satellites, but that doesn't make it any less
of an empire, since the USSR didn't grant its "allies" independence until the USSR
itself was falling apart. All it says is that you can't generalize from US-dominated
capitalist imperialism to apply abstract theories to the USSR-dominated empire, just
as you can't generalize from the classical Roman empire to apply abstract theories to
the US- or USSR-dominated empires. (Similarly, just because the USSR was a class
society doesn't mean that we can generalize from our understanding of capitalsm to
apply abstract theories to it.)

jd