it's interesting that in the "Manchurian Candidate," neither a George Bush nor a Dick
Cheney character appears. On the other hand, there's an evil senator who reminded me
of Hillary Rodham Clinton and her son, who seemed vaguely like John Kerry because of
the whole emphasis on his war-heroic status.

> "The Manchurian Candidate: The Return of the Repressed" (If
> Fahrenheit 9/11 is a perfect filmic expression of the Anybody But
> Bush ideology of liberal intellectuals, The Manchurian Candidate
> unexpectedly -- despite the intentions of its creators -- serves as a
> cinematic vehicle for the return of the politically repressed: "The
> chief danger to the republic . . . emanates not from the extremes --
> a fanatical foreign enemy combined with a zealous administration --
> but from the center, from the moderate wing of the opposition party
> and its corporate sponsors" [A. O. Scott]):
> <http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/08/manchurian-candidate-ret
urn-of.html>.

Yoshie