CALL FOR PAPERS

NEW WORKING-CLASS STUDIES: PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE

The 10th Aniversary Conference of the Center for Working-Class Studies
at
Youngstown State University, May 18-21, 2005, Youngstown, Ohio

In 2005, the Center for Working-Class Studies will celebrate the 10th
anniversary of its founding.  In honor of that occasion, we are planning
conference that will reflect the diversity, creativity, and energy of
New
Working-Class Studies.  The conference will feature plenary sessions
reflecting on the development of the field, taking stock of where we
stand
today, and looking ahead to new possibilities and challenges.  Our
conferences always include arts exhibits, film screenings, poetry
readings,
and other events.  The 2005 conference, co-sponsored by the Ford
Foundation,
will also include a business meeting of the Working-Class Studies
Association.

We invite proposals from students, workers, faculty members, organizers,
artists, and activists in all fields, from literature to geography,
history
to filmmaking, union organizing to neighborhood activism.  Along with
papers, we invite performances, film showings, roundtables, and
presentations of all kinds.  In addition, we invite proposals for
three-hour
interactive workshops and field trips, which will be scheduled for
Saturday
morning.  We encourage proposals that explore literature by and about
the
working class; working-class and labor history; material and popular
culture; current workplace issues; geography and landscape; journalism
and
media; sociology; economics; union organizing and practice; museum
studies;
the arts; multiculturalism; ethnography, biography, autobiography;
pedagogy;
and personal narratives of work.

Presenters should describe the presentation they would like to give,
including the suggested presentation format (panel, roundtable, reading,
workshop, etc.) and length. Proposals should be no longer than one page
and
must be received by January 3, 2005.  Address written correspondence to
John
Russo, Biennial Conference, Center for Working-Class Studies, Youngstown
State University, Youngstown, Ohio 44555.  Fax or e-mail inquiries
shouldbe
sent to Patty LaPresta, (330) 941-4622 and [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Center for Working-Class Studies's website is located at
http:/www.as.ysu.edu/-cwcs/ and its discussion group at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please Note:
Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written communications to or from
College employees
regarding College business are public records, available to the public and media upon
request.
Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.