I'm well out of my depth on this one but it doesn't strike me that there is
any great mystery here on the investment numbers.  The investment budget of
PDVSA is $5.3bn.  Minus $1.7bn which has been diverted into the social
housing budget gives $3.6bn.  The capital expenditure needed to cover
depreciation is $2.7bn.  So, all parties are fairly near the truth; it
doesn't look as if PDVSA is systematically and/or chronically underinvesting
and mortgaging the future, but it equally doesn't look as if they're going
to be spending enough  to seriously ramp up production.  I'd add two things:
first I would be very sceptical about the assumption of a linear
input/output function; the one thing that we do know about oil wells is that
they tend to come in big lumps and I would guess it would be pretty
difficult to drill half of one (I may well be bum-talking at this point
though).  And second, it is not obvious to me that PDVSA could have spent
the extra money anyway, since Chavez tin-tacked a lot of their senior
management during the strike.  Most of the people sacked were bourgeois
revisionists, etc and all around bad lots, but it's likely that most of them
also knew a bit about oil, and experienced oilfolk can't always be replaced
in a hurry.

I would be surprised if the distance between government and independent bpd
figures was down to omitting the petroleum products.  It might be something
as simple as the independent analyst having driven past one of the fields on
a day when the donkeys weren't nodding and counting it as not yet producing,
then PDVSA got it back onstream later in the month.  Alternatively, one of
the PDVSA managers might have fibbed to the government in order to get a
bonus.  As you say, though, the figures aren't so massively different as to
be worth cutting up rough about; everyone is agreed on the broad historical
sweep of things which is that the Venezuelans are doing a surprisingly good
job in getting the oilfields back in order after the political purge.

In general, oil analysts at stockbroking firms are among the most
trustworthy you will find, as they almost always have experience in the oil
industry.

cheers

dd