Yoshie wrote:

> I've seen folks here and elsewhere contemptuously dismiss an
> independent electoral challenge to the Democratic Party from the left
> (Nader/Camejo and Greens who support them), an attempt to make voices
> for peace heard inside the Democratic Party (Kucinich and those who
> supported him), and now even protests (militant or theatrical) in the
> streets.
>
> I've yet hear them present what they believe to be worth doing, let
> alone see them actually doing it.
------------------
That's not entirely fair comment. My impression is that most of the
criticisms on the list of the Nader/Camejo ticket haven't been
"contemptuous" -- certainly not any more so than some of the opposing
comments directed at them -- but, in any event, we can agree that this kind
of tone from both quarters isn't constructive. I think the great majority of
contributors to left-wing lists also support strikes and demonstrations, and
many participate in them as the opportunity presents itself, although the
general level of activity is almost certainly less than your own.

This may reflect a sense, which I share, that there has to be evidence of
mass sentiment for strikes and demonstrations, and this sentiment almost
always surfaces in response to objective threats -- to economic security, in
the form of a sharp deterioration in living and working conditions, or from
fear of war and other threats to physical security. Unless and until such
conditions are present, attempts to conjure up street protests through
tireless propaganda by radical intellectuals often only appear frenetic and
incomprehensible to those they're aimed at. I'm referring  here not only to
other progressive intellectuals, but also and perhaps especially to skilled
workers, who have a good grasp of their own circumstances and how to deal
with them, despite the patronizing way they are often dismissed as having
"false consciousness". In other words, where mass concern is evident, as it
was, for example, in last year's leadup to the war in Iraq, people will turn
out to demonstrate. But to imagine you can create strikes, demonstrations,
and other forms of mass activity in the streets through the sheer power of
ideas, where the conditions for those ideas to take root are largely absent,
strikes me as -- well, idealism. I suspect most other people feel this way
also, even if they haven't articulated it that way to themselves.

I can't speak for others, but I've indicated previously that I think the
most meaningful mass political activity which is currently taking place in
the US is among rank-and-file Democrats and others you (contemptuously?)
refer to as "ABB'ers". The current election has the character of a
referendum on US economic and foreign policy, which distinguishes it from
the usual run-of-the-mill electoral entertainment in liberal democracies,
and the unusual intensity of feeling between the Democratic and Republican
ranks, and within the left, testifies to the importance attached to it.

You may not accept this, but I would welcome it if anti-Bush hostility were
expressed in a mass movement towards the more progressive Nader/Camejo
ticket. But the objective conditions clearly don't exist for that, and your
efforts to build support for such a movement through tireless propaganda do,
alas, appear mostly frenetic and incomprehensible -- and antagonistic -- to
the overwhelming majority of well-intentioned intellectuals and workers who
have consciously determined that a repudiation of the economic and foreign
policies of their government requires throwing out the Bush administration.
I don't think you'll  ever persuade them that goal can be realized by voting
Green as opposed to Democratic. As Tariq Ali has noted, a Bush defeat will
be interpreted as a repudiation of current US policies by the rest of the
world, which is why we outside the States are also watching the election so
closely.

Finally, I don't think participation in this process is in contradiction to
organizing parallel antiwar actions among antiwar Democrats and ABB'ers, as
you suggest. It would, in fact, complement such efforts. On the other hand,
your preoccupation with the Greens' electoral fortunes goes in the other
direction. It is in contradiction to building bridges to, and mobilizing,
this massive constituency for more radical action.

I hope, respectfully, this helps answer your question about what some of
think is worth doing, and not doing.

Marv Gandall