Somebody whose name I can't read here
(http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.economics.progressive-economists/57741)
wrote:

> I don't know about apples and oranges
> but it seems excluded that he will
> operate as some kind of "progressive".

Because you *hope* so.  You simply hope in reverse.  Hope nonetheless.
 Just don't confuse it with wisdom.

> What kind of pushing can the people in
> Park Slope possibly exert on Obama? Even
> with the threat of proletarian revolution,
> FDR tried to balance the budget in 1937
> thus leading to a renewal of mass
> unemployment.

In 1937, politicians in the U.S. and Europe tended to believe that
such was the way of handling the public finances.  Until the war
raged, FDR didn't feel completely comfortable with the idea of running
repeated deficits.  As Keynes' views became more widespread,
politicians got more comfortable with the thought.

> That reminds me. I wanted to post this
> item about one of Obama's economic
> honchos earlier:

I don't understand.  Is Robert Samuelson in the short list for
treasury secretary?
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to