Again, sorry about the slow reply. I really have to drop this LIFO
approach to e-mail.

me:
>> The slogan [about limiting work hours] did not drop from the sky, not was it 
>> innate in Marx's (or Dilke's or Chapman's or Steward's) mind. Instead, it 
>> was the labor movement that spawned the slogan for workweek reduction. Then, 
>> the slogan helped unite the movement. I think it's a mistake to think that 
>> somehow the slogan alone will help revive the movement.<<

Sandwichman responded:
> Well, no. it was the demand for shorter work time that spawned the labor 
> movement! <

Gee, nothing else did this? there were no authoritarian and unsafe
work conditions or inadequate wages? there was no deskilling of labor?
no lock-outs and Pinkerton goons? there was no destruction of
traditional ways of life and safety nets? The focus on the demand for
shorter work-time seems one-dimensional.

> It is true that resurrecting the slogan alone will not revive the labor 
> movement. <

good, we agree.

> However, consciousness of the historical role of the slogan is essential if 
> there is to be any hope of reviving the movement.<

yes, but remember that the conditions right now are not the same as
when the 40-hour week slogan arose. To revive the labor movement, I'd
recommend concrete analysis of current concrete conditions (to dredge
up an old phrase).

>Below is a passage from Raya Dunayevskaya's the American Roots of Marxism that 
>I just stumbled across this morning. I quote it not  because I am an adherent 
>to her thought or because I got my ideas from it. I'm not and I didn't. I 
>quote it because of convergence -- she came to very similar conclusions as me 
>regarding Capital -- and what is vital within it -- following an entirely 
>different course of inquiry.<

I've left the quote from Dunayevskaya out (since I've read it before
somewhere). My question: why was limiting the working-day so
unimportant to "News & Letters," the group she led and inspired?
-- 
Jim Devine /  "Nobody told me there'd be days like these / Strange
days indeed -- most peculiar, mama." -- JL.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to