My view is all the economic principals named thus far -- Geithner,
Goolsbee, Romer, Furman, Orszag -- will be Larry's research
assistants.  Depending on who is in the WH, CEA etc. can be completely
marginalized.  O'Neill was marginalized too, and he was a Cabinet
secy.

As a certain sage remarked, it's gonna be all Larry, all the time.
Great picture of him on Huffington, by the way.  Looks like the stick
up his arse has a stick up its arse.  Kuttner's column there is good
too.




On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Perelman, Michael
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My understanding is that the Council of Economic Advisers does analysis and 
> Summer's job will be to do economic policy in general.  He might be able to 
> do more damage there and if he were Treasury Secretary.  Max, forgive me if 
> I'm speaking out of turn, since you know much more about this stuff than I do.
>
>
>
> Michael Perelman
> Economics Department
> California State University
> michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
> Chico, CA 95929
> 530-898-5321
> fax 530-898-5901
> michaelperelman.wordpress.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim Devine
> Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 9:10 AM
> To: Pen-l
> Subject: [Pen-l] Dr. Freud, your slip is showing
>
> This morning as I drove to work, I heard US National Public Radio's
> newsreader refer to the "Asian Pacific Economic Corporation" forum.
> (it's Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation.)
>
> BTW, it looks as if Prez-elect Obama will be appointing pen-l's _bĂȘte
> noire_, Larry "I'm Brilliant" Summers to lead the US federal
> government's National Economic Council. That's a quite step down for
> the guy, who used to stand astride the world at the Treasury and at
> Harvard.
>
> What I don't get is the point of this organization: doesn't the
> President already have a Council of Economic Advisers? plus a slew of
> economists at Treasury, Labor, Commerce, etc., etc.? Didn't Presidents
> before Clinton I get along pretty well without the National Economic
> Council? One of Obama's attractions is that (unlike the current fellow
> in the White House) he seems sane. One sane thing to do would be to
> get rid of unnecessary organizations.
>
> Also, I wonder when they're going to re-paint the White House.
> --
> Jim Devine /  "Nobody told me there'd be days like these / Strange
> days indeed -- most peculiar, mama." -- JL.
> _______________________________________________
> pen-l mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
> _______________________________________________
> pen-l mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
>
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to