Skimming through Michael Berube’s newly published Eustonesque manifesto
“The Left at War”, I stumbled across a reference to yours truly in
chapter one. The good professor grouped me with 9/11 truthers and Bob
Avakian, as people not worth his while to attack. The book, you see, was
going after bigger game, like Noam Chomsky, Edward Herman and other
enemies of humane, liberal values. It appears that I didn’t rate,
because I was just an Internet phenomenon:
Likewise, if I wanted to engage with the divagations [a fancy word for
ramblings] of the radical left online, I would include figures like
Louis Proyect, a Columbia University computer programmer whose name is
well known to far-left listservs and blogs, and who is capable of
writing things like, “To the credit of the late Slobodan Milosevic and
to Saddam Hussein, who now is on trial for his life in another kangaroo
court, they never bowed down. In life and in death, these imperfect men
will always remind us of the need to resist the injustice perpetrated by
states acting out of perfect evil. “
The words were my conclusion to an article in Swans titled The
Demonization And Death Of Slobodan Milosevic that I certainly stand by.
In keeping with this put-down and subsequent railings against Chomsky,
Edward Herman and Diana Johnstone, you will not find any substance to
Berube’s complaint, which usually takes the form of a sputtering “how
dare they!” Since so much of the book is a diatribe about positions the
left took on Yugoslavia, one would hope that the good professor might
have taken the trouble to explain how critics of NATO’s war were wrong
either on the facts or logic. But such matters do not interest him. He
is much more at home in the ethereal realm of morality and global
governance pirouetting with the angels.
read full article:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/michael-berubes-war-on-the-left/
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l