On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM, David B. Shemano <[email protected]> wrote:
> Plato complained about the move from memory to literacy.  Paper is more 
> fragile than stone, clay and animal hides, but much less expensive and more 
> accessible to more people.  Electronic books extend the trend.  There are 
> tradeoffs to everything.  As a result of the move to electronic information, 
> more people have more access to more information.  Be a progressive, not a 
> reactionary.
>



Digital information definitely has its place. I am a big fan and
frequent user of both Google books and Amazon not to mention Google
scholar. There are a few exceptional indie bookstores around that I
hope continue to prosper but in general I do not have any sentimental
attachment to the idea of small indie bookstores.

However, we should be careful to make a distinction between
*archiving* and access.

Digital formats greatly improve access and we all benefit from that.
I'd suggest, however, that digital formats are fundamentally poorly
suited for long-term archiving. This is not Ludditism but simply a
factual observation as I see it.
-raghu.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to