I knew John Coatsworth when he was a student activist at the University of
Wisconsin in the late 1960s -- He combined the best of thoughtful
understanding and individual principled courage.

For this he was unfairly attacked as an "old leftist" by some of the more
way out individuals in the movement at that time.

His work has always been high quality -- and it has had a positive impact
on the understanding of how capitalism underdeveloped third world countries.

Academics in high profile jobs at elite institutions can either serve
capital and the ruling institutions or fight against them.  I believe
John's career has attempted to liberate students from the false
understanding that passes for intellectual discourse in this country.

When it comes to moving from the classroom to administration, I obviously
cannot speak for John (it's been many years since we've spoken) --- I can
only note that when I had a chance to become chairman of my department I
took it -- It reduced my time in the classroom where I was most comfortable
but it gave me the opportunity to have an important role in hiring
decisions and in creating an atmosphere for new members of our faculty to
thrive and achieve.  It gave me the opportunity to make sure there was
space in my department (and the college in general) for alternative
viewpoints --- something a typical mainstream economist would not even
acknowledge existed!

Someone once said, you would never criticize a welder who happened to be a
leftist for perfecting her/his skill and being an excellent welder -- why
criticize ANYONE who is a leftist for trying to be "good" and what she/he
does ---

Would we rather have a vicious reactionary as provost of Columbia?

SInce we have not achieved the revolutionary change to turn Columbia into a
"people's university" the second best is to populate as many institutions
as possible with the right kind of people -- It may not be dynamic,
glamorous or revolutionary -- but it might actually make some things better.

My $.02.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to