Below is more anecdotal evidence of the pressure China is increasingly able to 
exert on foreign governments eager to tap its rapidly growing consumer and 
capital markets. Political power is following commercial power, as it did 
earlier in Britain and the US. In this case, it the imperious Netanyahu 
government which is being forced to bend the knee. 

The matter involves a suit filed in an American court by a US couple who lost 
their son in a suicide bombing in Israel in 2006. The couple was encouraged by 
the Israelis and tea party Republicans, including House leader, Eric Cantor, to 
sue the Bank of China which allegedly was allowing funds to be transferred to 
Islamic Jihad in Gaza. Though there was no connection between the Bank of China 
and the Tel Aviv bombing, the Israelis sought to use the case to force the bank 
to choke off the flow of payments to Islamic Jihad and, more generally, to 
strengthen the US-led international campaign to impose sanctions on banks 
allowing financial transfers to movements and regimes deemed to be "terrorist". 

But this was before trade between Israel and China grew from just over $2 
billion in 2006 to more than $8 billion last year, and before Netanyahu's trip 
to China last month aimed at boosting trade ties further. Now his government, 
under pressure from China, is wavering in its support for the case and may not 
allow a former intelligence officer to provide evidence crucial to the suit 
when it is heard next month. The story was obviously leaked to the Journal by 
Cantor's office working in tandem with the couple's lawyers to place 
countervailing pressure on the Israelis to allow the case to proceed. 

U.S. Court Case Tests Israeli Resolve
By CHARLES LEVINSON
Wall Street Journal
June 21 2013

TEL AVIV—A lawsuit in a New York federal court has put Israel's leader in an 
extraordinary bind, between nurturing a growing relationship with China and 
pursuing commitments to fight terrorism and help an American family seeking 
recompense for the death of a son.

The challenge comes to a head in July, when a former Israeli official is 
scheduled to testify in a terror-financing case that began six years ago, when 
the Israeli government asked Florida residents Tully and Sheryl Wultz to sue 
the Bank of China and pledged to help them with the case, the couple said.

The couple and Israeli officials allege that the bank knowingly allowed Iran to 
use it to deliver funds to the Palestinian militant group that killed their 
16-year-old son Daniel in a 2006 suicide bombing in Tel Aviv. The bank has 
denied the accusation and said it wouldn't comment on pending litigation.

The case hinges, the Wultzes said, on a pending deposition by a former Israeli 
intelligence official, who is expected to testify that he was present at 2005 
meetings in which Israeli officials told China that Bank of China accounts were 
being used to fund militant organizations including Islamic Jihad, the 
Palestinian outfit that claimed responsibility for the attack that killed 
Daniel Wultz. The Wultzes say that they intend the deposition to show Bank of 
China is culpable for refusing to act to close the accounts.

But the Wultzes and a U.S. congresswoman say China is now pressing Israeli 
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to withdraw permission for the former 
intelligence official to testify.

"If they withdraw support for this case, it would be another tragedy on top of 
a tragedy," said Ms. Wultz.

Mr. Netanyahu's office declined to comment on the case. Chinese government 
officials also declined to comment.

The congresswoman, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R., Fla.), a member of the House 
Foreign Affairs Committee, wrote to Mr. Netanyahu on Wednesday to urge him to 
follow through on what she described as Israel's commitments to the Wultzes and 
allow the testimony to proceed.

"We are aware of mounting pressure by the BOC and other Chinese interests…to 
interfere with the U.S. proceedings and the deposition," she wrote, according 
to a copy of the letter viewed by The Wall Street Journal. The Bank of China 
declined to comment.

Ms. Ros-Lehtinen urged that the official testify "to reaffirm Israel's solemn 
commitment to the victims of terror to ensure that justice be done."

A congressional staffer who has served as a link between the Wultzes and 
Israeli government said Mr. Netanyahu's office is now undecided about allowing 
the testimony, despite previous pledges to allow it.

If Israel prevents the deposition, Mr. Netanyahu would risk being accused of 
betraying the commitment to battling terrorism on which he built his political 
career. He would also risk alienating two of Israel's most powerful 
congressional allies, Ms. Ros-Lehtinen and House majority leader Eric Cantor, 
who is Ms. Wultz's first cousin. Mr. Cantor's office didn't return calls 
seeking comment.

If Mr. Netanyahu supports the lawsuit, he could undermine a growing 
relationship with China that is worth over $8 billion a year to the Israeli 
economy.

Israel also needs China to help tighten the screws on Iran over its nuclear 
program, which for Mr. Netanyahu is Israel's biggest security threat.

In 2005, in the midst of the second Palestinian Intifada, Israeli intelligence 
officials mapped what they said was a network used by Iran to funnel cash to 
Islamic Jihad in Gaza, using Bank of China accounts, according to Israeli 
officials. Israeli officials went to Beijing, presented Chinese officials with 
evidence and asked them to close the accounts, according to an affidavit by a 
former Israeli official. The accounts remained open, Israeli officials said.

In April 2006, Tully Wultz and his son Daniel were eating at a food stand near 
the Tel Aviv bus station, when an Islamic Jihad suicide bomber blew himself up, 
killing Daniel and 10 others. Mr. Wultz was wounded.

In 2007, senior Israeli officials from the prime minister's office contacted 
the family's lawyers with a proposition, according to the Wultzes. The 
officials said the Wultzes could bring pressure to bear on Palestinian terror 
financing networks by using tough U.S. terrorism statutes only available to 
American citizens, according to the Wultzes.

The Israeli government pledged their full support, and offered the family 
classified intelligence, including scores of suspect Bank of China account 
numbers and records of money transfers, the Wultzes said.

"They asked us to do the lawsuit, and they said they'll fully cooperate with us 
and give us anything we need to win," said Mr. Wultz. That pledge was 
reaffirmed by Mr. Netanyahu's office in 2012, according to emails to the 
Wultzes reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The original lawsuit, filed in Washington in 2008, accused Iran and Syria of 
funding Islamic Jihad, and Bank of China of failing to close accounts used to 
fund the group. The Bank of China case was later moved to the U.S. District 
Court for the Southern District of New York.

The Wultzes won their case against Iran and Syria, with a judgment that orders 
that two countries to pay $323 million in damages, which remain unpaid.

The Bank of China case was raised in meetings between Israeli and Chinese 
officials in April, an Israeli official said.

The following month, Mr. Netanyahu took his first official trip to China since 
1998, saying it was aimed at boosting Israel-China trade from $8 billion a year 
to $10 billion within three years. Mr. Netanyahu said the trip, which yielded a 
new $400 million trade agreement, was a success.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Reply via email to