o-----------ooO--(- Important  Message -)--Ooo------------o
| SAVE BANDWITH, SPACE, TIME & MONEY, REPLY WITH PRUDENCE.|
o----=[ Penguin @ My - Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ]=----o

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [NEWS] "Can you break into my system? I dare you!"
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list,
and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com

          "Can you break into my system? I dare you!"

SUMMARY

We in Beyond Security believe that
<http://www.beyondsecurity.com/info.html> the only way to test your
security is by trying to break it. But we're not as drastic as one Linux
system administrator who took this one step further - he is asking
attackers to try and break into a server he is administrating.

DETAILS

Many administrators have to deal with potentially malicious users having
legal accounts on their servers. Universities, ISPs and large companies
have to consider the risk that local users, having access to the system
as
valid users, will sometime try to elevate their privileges.
The system administrator of  <zeus-olympus.yi.org> zeus-olympus.yi.org
assumes that some of his users are 'evil'. Although he is confident that
his Linux system is secured, he would like others to do their best to
attack his system.
He therefore provided two user accounts that have normal user access to
the system, and he allows anyone who wishes to use those accounts and
gain
entry to the server.
Once logged in, the users are free to try and compromise the system's
security, with no strings attached.
The only 'catch' is that once vulnerability is found, it should be
reported immediately, so that the hole can be closed.
This offer is extremely unique. There have been 'hacking' contests in
the
past (usually by commercial companies trying to show that their product
is
secure), but this is one of the first time that an administrator is
offering full access to the machine (using a valid user account) - which
of course makes this game much more interesting.
Therefore, if you would like to try and break a Linux Redhat machine,
join
this war game and give it your best shot.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

To join the contest, visit  <http://zeus-olympus.yi.org/>
http://zeus-olympus.yi.org/ and enter the 'password required' section.
The
login is: war and the password is game. Upon entering this section, you
will receive the account information needed to log into the server.

Feel free to give Danny some feedback about his war game:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of
any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including
direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or
special damages.
-
Disclaimer : http://users.my-linux.org/disclaimer.html