On Fri, 25 May 2007, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:

RS>That's the life.  I just hope you don't have to be driven too far.  More than
RS>six hours in the car and I start to lose my will to live.

Wichita->Houston is under ten hours (maybe under nine... we did ICT-AUS in
nine hours back when it was 55mph, and that included an unscheduled
offroading experience into a badly marked construction site at 1am in
DFW), which counts as "an easy day's drive" when you live in flyover
country.

Yeah, Google says 600 miles.  Probably about nine hours.

Plus, it's not like I'd be driving it without good geek company.

RS>If I could bring beer (we're flying, and I refuse to check bags),

It's an eminently wise policy. I learned not to check bags when I worked
for a little non-union cargo airline. Oddly, whenever we flew commercial,
our bags were delayed. Seldom lost, just... not on the carousel for a few
extra hours. You learned to pack light, and keep it with you.

Of course, that was pre-9/11. These days, my policy is just to avoid
flying.

RS>As for what you should bring?  Something good, of course!  In my book, that
RS>could be anything but stout.

Aw, some of the best-rated beers around here are stouts.

I have to admit, though: "something good" would translate to "cider" as
far as I'm concerned, or specifically "Woodchuck Amber," which I assume is
readily available in Houston. So I can't really attest to the quality of
our one brewpub (other than they make good food). Boulevard gets pretty
wide distribution regionally, but I don't know if that means the beer is
good or just the business sense.