I'm (re)writing a script to do reports on email caught by SPAM filters that isn't really SPAM to the user. This script reads the folder/mailbox then sends a message with a list of the messages.

Sender( From: ), Subject, Date, Size

to the user.

The current (and not working) version was broken when the mail server software provider (protecting the guilty) made some changes to the way the messages are stored. I can no longer mount the share and access the messages raw.

So the low hanging fruit seemed to be to use IMAP. Currently I'm getting pretty good results using Net::IMAP::Simple and Email::Simple. For simple reporting and clearing out user defined _old_ messages it is great. The problem comes with a variation where already reported messages should not be _reported_ again.

Much searching, reading, head scratching, and a few curses later I'm still kind of confused/lost. I think I just need to extend Net::IMAP::Simple to have a store method. (STORE is already being used to mark a message as Deleted.) Where the confusion creeps in is can I just modify the message object and not use any flags?

Using the Net::IMAP::Simple example code; add in

  $es->set_header( 'MY-Header', $value );
  $imap->store( $i );

TIA,
Rod